Home ContactAbout UsPhotosRecipes

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

This was our first stop on our girls' trip this past week. The highlight of this city was getting to tour the Biltmore--the beautiful estate of George Washington Vanderbilt. It was magnificent. It was not your typical tour either. Most home tours allow you to see a handful of rooms with the majority of them being closed to the public. The Vanderbilt family did just the opposite. The home consists of four acres of floor space within 250 rooms, and I think we saw at least 200 of them! We even saw the basement which houses a gymnasium, changing rooms, servants' quarters, bowling alley, kitchens, and more.



Mr. Vanderbilt moved into his "country" home around 1895 as a bachelor. He later married and raised his daughter there. His home originally sat surrounded on 125, 000 beautiful acres. After his death, it became necessary for his wife to sell most of the land to the government. The family descendants still own the home and 8,000 acres. They travel there every Christmas to meet and celebrate with the staff and their families.  What a great tradition!

4 comments:

  1. We visited the Biltmore several years ago. What a fantastic place! I remember our son was 2 years old at the time and thought that 'elevator' was 'alligator.' He was afraid to step into the 'alligator.' I remember that fantastic library! Thanks for bringing back fond memories. I believe there is still a whole self-sustaining community surrounding the Biltmore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the Biltmore and adored touring it. It is just fantastic! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to the Biltmore, but it's on my bucket list. I've heard from others that it's awesome! Will be praying for your Rick. I know it's always in the back of your mind. Enjoyed catching up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We toured the Biltmore last summer when we were in NC. I must have really lived a sheltered life because I had no idea people lived like that "back in the day". Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete