Home ContactAbout UsPhotosRecipes

Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Butternut Squash Soup

I got a new recipe this week from a friend. I made it for my ladies' bible study group tonight. It was great! And it even looks "fallish" if you can use that word to describe soup!


4 T. butter or margarine
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
1 butternut squash (approx. 4 lbs), peeled, cubed
4 to 5 cups water
1 t. dried marjoram leaves
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/4 t. ground red pepper  ( I omitted this.)
8 chicken bouillon cubes
2 pkg. (8 0z) cream cheese, cubed

Put all ingredients in a dutch oven and cook until the squash is tender. In blender or food processor, place approximately a third of it. Blend until smooth. Repeat. Return all this to the pan. Stir in cream cheese. Cover, cook on low heat setting until cheese is melted stirring with wire whisk until smooth.

Several notes:
*You can easily cut this in half. I wrote it out as I made it which was a double batch. 
*You could cook it in a slow cooker on low setting for 6-8 hours. Then use your food processor and continue.
*You can serve with real bacon bits, chives, or parsley. Bacon is yummy with it!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and I have never seen a soup recipe with squash. I know we would enjoy this one of these early Autumn days for lunch. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want to try this, but then I don't (because my family probably wouldn't think it was a delicious as I would think it was...)

    But I trust you so I think I want to give this a try! And you never know... they might just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds wonderful, and oh-so-seasonal & timely :) I love the idea of putting it in the slow cooker and finishing in the food processor. Easy! Thanks! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Squash is going to love this squash soup - and so will I! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds delicious, *perfect* for this time of year!

    Your blog is *lovely*, thank you for stopping by my place. (o:

    Blessings,
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so funny that you posted this recipe because just today I was telling someone I've never met anything with cream cheese that I didn't like! And I just love new recipes so this has my name written all over it. Thanks!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am enjoying getting to know you...browsing your blog...
    This sound delicious and a flavor I would LOVE...
    Blessings to you..
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun, I just made squash soup last night. I considered cream cheese and went with heavy cream, I was adding curry and cinnamon. Next tiem I'll try the cream cheese this recipe looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This soup recipe sounds delicous!! I am going to try it this week. I love soup and you are right, this one does remind you of the fall season. Thanks so much for sharing! Love & blessings from NC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds heavenly. May just have to try that one:)

    ReplyDelete