Home ContactAbout UsPhotosRecipes

Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Time to Bloom

Spring officially began just a couple of days ago. In the stillness and quietness this weekend, I took several moments to notice the outside beauty around the house--the pond, the green grass coming out, the onions growing in the garden, the wildflowers, and the budding trees all around. Ah yes, the trees are a favorite. That brought to mind a poem in which my 8th grade English teacher, Mrs. Short, made sure all of my class learned. It's simple, but profound. Enjoy it as I have!

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree. -Alfred Joyce Kilmer, 1913

No comments:

Post a Comment